The Town Hall Writers’ Conference began this morning with an introduction to the five Ambassadors who are on hand to answer publishing questions over the weekend. They each gave their top tips that they wished they’d known at the start of their careers. We’re starting with Carmel Bird.
Carmel Bird (novelist)
- Write every day (at least a page per day)
- Read a lot, to put your own work in context
- Listen to your own heart
- Do not listen to what your lover/friends/family say about your work – they will have an agenda yet be sensitive when dealing with material which comes from real life
- Learn to deal with rejection
- Stay focused and optimistic and develop your own area of interest; find the drama