Books, my one and only true love. If I were to cheat on them, it’d be with one of the best reading pillows on this list that I have compiled in this comprehensive review.
Seriously though, don’t you get tired of stacking pillows just to make sure your neck and back don’t hurt after reading?
You either have a knack for reading, like me, or you’re that guy who watches all 10 seasons of Friends in two weeks.
Either way, you might have realized that you need something special, something that offers better support than your standard pillow.
You need a reading pillow, and this article is your lucky read because I have packed it with everything you need to know about reading pillows like the Husband Reading Pillow, which as you’ll see, is our top pick.
Let’s jump right in!
Our Best Reading Pillows At A Glance
- Husband Reading Pillow (With Arms)
- Lunix 4pcs Wedge Reading Pillow Set
- Brentwood Home Wedge Pillow
- Milliard Reading Pillow
- ZOEMO Bed Rest Reading Pillow
- Linenspa Velour Reading Pillow
- Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow
- Leewadee Triangle Reading Cushion
- Vekkia Premium Soft Reading & Bed Pillow
- Cheer Collection Plush Wedge Pillow
- HALOViE Soft Reading Pillow
Reviews—The Best Reading Pillows
First, I have written product reviews of the best reading pillows, then further down, a buying guide, and some tips for answering some questions you may have.
1. Husband Pillow – Reading Bed Pillow with Arms
Pillow Type: Husband |Cover Fabric: Microplush |Fill Material: Foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: Neck roll, pockets.
These traditional type pillows look like a sweet, warm, fluffy, and cushy bear holding you in its arms as you read.
When you enter the room and look at a husband reading pillow, it’s as if it is saying, “come, gimme a hug!”
The Husband Pillow is a luxurious backrest pillow made with memory foam. It has arms, back and side pockets (for reads, phones, glasses, et cetera), and a detachable and adjustable neck roll pillow that offers extra support for your neck.
The Husband pillow is customizable: it has a zipper on the bottom of the shell for filling foam and conveniently comes with extra foam to improve the loftiness and sturdiness of the pillow, and the pillow covers are removable and machine-washable. This means that you always have fresh and stylish reading pillows
- Breathable material
- Ultra-soft cover from a micro plush fabric
- It has a lot of pockets
- Replaceable, machine-washable cover
- Refillable shell
- Neck roll needs constant readjusting
2. Lunix 4pcs Orthopedic Bed Wedge Reading Pillow Set
Pillow Type: Wedge|Cover Fabric: Organic Bamboo |Fill Material: Memory foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: N/A
Unlike the other options in this article, this is actually a pillow set. The set has 4 pieces, all stuffed with memory foam.
With this orthopedic set, Lunix successfully made a pillow set that helps ease or prevent back, neck, leg, and knee pain. It is a wonderful pillow set for those that cannot lie down because of conditions like acid reflux and others.
The bamboo covers are removable, washable, and breathable. The pillow set is stuffed with memory foam, which gives the pillows the right amount of softness and much needed sturdiness.
The head pillow has a Velcro strap which stops it from easily sliding out of place.
- Great orthopedic benefits
- Multifunctional set
- Sturdy and very supportive
- Doesn’t elevate the lower leg
3. Brentwood Home Wedge Pillow
Most Versatile Single-Piece Wedge Pillow
Pillow Type: Wedge |Cover Fabric: Natural Bamboo |Fill Material: Foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: N/A
It’s hard not to fall in love with this wedge pillow. When you want to read in bed, this therapeutic wedge pillow has a perfectly sloped ‘hypotenuse’.
And when you are ready to catch some ZZZs, you just flip the pillow, and just like that, you have another perfect slope for a normal horizontal slumber.
The softness and firmness of the high-quality foam and the perfect slope helps in relieving health conditions like lower back or neck problems, acid reflux, poor circulation, hiatal hernia, among others.
Having indigestion? The wedge pillow also helps ease heartburn and discomfort.
The cover, made of natural bamboo, is removable and washable, so you don’t have to worry about having a dirty pillow on top of your beddings.
- Helps with several health conditions
- Made of breathable material
- Can be used as a normal sleeping pillow
- Not made of memory foam
4. Milliard Reading Pillow
Best Velour Material
Pillow Type: Husband |Cover Fabric: Velour |Fill Material: Memory foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: Neck roll, hand ring
This is yet another excellent refillable husband reading pillow on the list.
The filling is made of shredded memory foam which helps the pillow adapt to the pressure exerted by the body, effectively and comfortably supporting your body shape.
The pillow also has orthopedic benefits and helps deal with health conditions like acid reflux, nasal congestion, et cetera.
You don’t have to sweat about removing stains and cleaning spills; the pillow’s zippered velour outer cover is removable and machine washable.
The Milliard reading pillow comes in three sizes: Extra-large, standard, and petite.
- The pillow cover is removable and machine washable
- Lightweight and Portable
- The inside shell is refillable
- Takes 48 hours to expand to full size
5. ZOEMO Bed Rest Reading Pillow
Most Simplistic Husband Design
Pillow Type: Husband |Cover Fabric: Velvet |Fill Material: Cotton |Washable: Yes |Extras: Neck roll, hand ring, side pocket.
One thing that sets reading pillows apart from normal pillows is functionality. And husband reading pillows do not betray their intended purposes.
When you buy the ZOEMO bed rest reading pillow, you are not buying a cute little pillow with a ‘floral pattern’. You are purchasing a pillow that will feel comfy while protecting your body from all kinds of upper-body joint pains.
The two armrests support your arms while you hold your book, and to prevent neck pain, your head can be pillowed on the neck roll.
With a velvety and delicate cover, this bed rest reading pillow is beautiful in its own right. The zippered cover is removable and washable, and the loft is filled with high-quality cotton.
- Removable and washable cover
- Breathable padding
- Lofty and firm
- Not made of memory foam
6. Linenspa Soft Velour Shredded Foam Reading Pillow
Best Pillow for Kids
Pillow Type: Husband |Cover Fabric: Velour |Fill Material: Shredded foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: Carry handle
Another pillow with a classic husband design with back and shoulder support and an adjustable neck roll.
This is a solid reading pillow that still feels comfy and is pliable. It is filled with shredded memory foam, which I believe, is mixed with types of foams.
Just like many others in the traditional reading pillow category, this pillow is made of top quality velour cover. This velvety and soft pillow is available in navy and stone colors.
Linenspa also gave the reading pillow a convenient carry handle, making it easy for you to move the reading pillow around.
- Sturdy but still pliable
- Soft and comfortable
- Breathable material
- It takes 48 hours to expand to normal size
7. Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow
Best Adjustable Wedge Design
Pillow Type: Wedge |Cover Fabric: Polyester |Fill Material: Memory Foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: N/A
This wedge pillow has a multifunctional 3 in 1 design. It can be as a headrest, under the back, or the legs.
But, unlike the Lunix 4-piece pillow set, the Xtra-Comfort Bed Wedge Pillow cannot perform all the three cushioning functions simultaneously—the pieces are joined together to perform one task at a time.
To provide comfort and support, the inner shell is made of soft but very dense memory foam.
The outer cover— which is both removable and machine washable—is zippered and made of velour. And, velour is easy to clean, so you can have the kids or your ‘furry friends’ play around while you read, without having to worry about how you’re going to clean the pillow.
- Removable and machine-washable cover
- Foldable design with handle
- Breathable and comfortable
- Not fully filled with memory foam
8. Leewadee Triangle Reading Cushion
Most Stylish Reading Pillow
Pillow Type: Triangle Cushion |Cover Fabric: Cotton |Fill Material: Kapok |Washable: N/A |Extras: N/A
Here’s a reading cushion that just leaves your head bubbling with home décor ideas. Before we talk about its many uses, we have to admit, this is a stunner. And, it is available in 19 different colors, wow!
The filling material used to make these triangle pillows is different from the ones used in all the other pillows on this list. The manufacturers used untreated kapok, a fluffy plant fiber from the kapok tree.
You can use it to rest your head, lower back, chest, or legs.
The cushion embodies affordable exquisiteness; and, the cover is made of high-quality cotton, which—by the bye—is double-stitched.
This is an amazing reading cushion for living rooms, terraces, gardens, boats, and balconies.
- Stylish and trendy
- Value for money
- No armrest
- The covers are not removable
9. Vekkia Premium Soft Reading & Bed Pillow
Most Convenient Design
Pillow Type: Husband |Cover Fabric: Velvet |Fill Material: 20% Memory Foam; 80% Foam |Washable: Yes |Extras: Neck roll, pockets.
Husband pillows are the best pillows for bed lounging. This pillow’s velvety arms grab you as the fluffy pillow swallows your torso. To prevent neck pains, the pillow has a detachable neck roll pillow.
The fluffy pillow covers are removable and machine-washable, and the velvet is easy to clean when you accidentally spill liquids on it.
The inner shell is zippered and refillable, and the reading pillow comes with an additional shredded foam package weighing 200 grams.
For your convenience, the Vekkia premium reading pillow has large and small sized pockets for books, phones, tabs, eyeglasses, remote controls, etc.
- Breathable material
- Has large and small pockets
- Extra foam
- Removable and machine-washable covers
- Low-quality foam
10. Cheer Collection Plush Wedge Bed Reading Pillow
Pillow Type: Wedge |Cover Fabric: Cotton |Fill Material: Polyester |Washable: N/A |Extras: N/A
This reading pillow doesn’t get near the husband pillows—on this list—when it comes to providing support. But, it is a super comfortable budget option.
To an extent, it will help you sit upright in bed and provide some amount of lumbar support. And you can easily turn it into a large squishy sleeping pillow or reading on your side.
You can also place this wedge pillow under your legs to relieve pain in your knee and feet.
The pillow is stuffed with fluffy hollow fiber, and the outer cloth—which is soft and breathable—is made of cotton.
- Sturdy yet soft
- Excellent support
- Doesn’t come with a pillow cover
11. HALOViE Soft Reading Pillow
Most Lightweight & Portable
Pillow Type: Wedge |Cover Fabric: Corduroy |Fill Material: Pearl wool |Washable: Yes |Extras: N/A
The main reason why this reading pillow made it onto this list is its sheer simplicity. It has no feature out of the ordinary.
The soft pearl wool that fills this wedge pillow makes it soft and comfortable, excellent for cushioning your back when reading.
Weighing just about 2 pounds, the Halovie reading pillow undisputedly wins this article’s Most Lightweight Reading Pillow accolade.
The Halovie soft reading pillow also has two side pockets which are convenient when you want something to hold some items like pens, phones, remote control, eyeglasses, etc.
The pillow’s cover is made of a fabric called corduroy, which looks and feels unique. It’s different from most covers on the list, which have velvety covers.
- Very Lightweight
- Removable and washable cover
- Thinner than most reading cushions
Buying guide — Choosing the Best Reading Pillow
Getting the ‘best’ reading pillow for you will depend on a couple of things, most of them personal, of course. For example, you might want a reading pillow that suits your home décor style, or a pillow designed for a particular medical condition, perhaps just a reading pillow that is inexpensive.
To satisfy all these preferences, there are things you need to consider when buying a reading pillow. Below is a comprehensive guide that gives a rundown of things to consider when looking for a reading pillow.
What to Look for When Buying a Reading Pillow
Here are some key things you should consider when looking for the best reading pillow.
Reading pillows are filled with different kinds of materials. Each one of these materials offers a different type of support and comfort. The commonly used materials in filling reading pillows include:
- Memory Foam—Memory foam offers more back support than other filling materials. This is because foam is a very sensitive, highly contouring material that responds to heat and conforms to your back’s pressure, and reshapes itself into a mold of your back. The softening of the foam to accommodate the trunk means there is adequate support for your back; hence, reading becomes a comfortable task.
- Shredded Memory Foam—This is still memory foam, just shredded. In some designs, the shreds of memory foam are mixed with other types of foams. The shredded memory foam is more pliable, softer, and retains less heat than solid foam. Most designs that use shredded foam have zippered inner shells and come with extra shredded foam so that you can either add more foam to make the pillow loftier or remove some to make it fluffier.
- Microfiber/Polyester Fiber—This is an inexpensive and commonly used type of material in both reading and normal pillows. This kind of filling doesn’t offer the same quality of support as memory foam and isn’t as durable. Not that it isn’t a quality filling material, it is just outranked by memory foam.
Basically, there are two types of reading pillow styles: Traditional or Husband reading pillows and Wedge reading pillows.
- Traditional/Husband—It’s weird that they are called “husband” pillows, oh well. With features like a wide comfy backrest, arms, and a neck roll, these commodious pillows literally hug you. Some designs include back and side pockets for phones, pens, eyeglasses, etc.
- Wedge—Unlike husband pillows, these are constructed with sharp slopes which makes them orthopedic pillows. They are designed to alleviate problems associated with medical issues like breathing problems, back pain, sleep apnea, acid reflux, and poor circulation. Wedge pillows have different inclines; some are very steep, others are gradual. So, make sure to check which incline would best suit your intended use.
The outer cover is usually made of fabrics viz. velvet, velour, suede, and corduroy. The fabric used for the pillow cover is just as important as the filling material since it plays a part in determining comfort, visual attractiveness, and durability of the reading pillow.
- Velvet—This dense fabric gives the reading pillows a deluxe look and feel. But, the type of velvet used might also differ because there are different types of velvets with different fiber types. Some reading pillows come with silk velvet, a delicate type of velvet, while others use more stain-resistant and durable types of velvet, like Mohair velvet and wool velvet.
- Velour—This fabric resembles velvet; velour has a velvety sheen. Although it’s the inexpensive cousin of velvet, it is more pliable and easier to clean. Velour is the best option for a ‘busy family environment’, with kids and dogs climbing and tripping over stuff.
- Faux Suede—Faux suede has a self-explanatory name. It is a synthetic suede, made to look and feel like animal suede. It is also called microfiber suede or micro-suede. Reading pillows that have faux suede covers are very easy to clean and do not require special detergents.
- Corduroy—A fabric usually made of cotton, corduroy is a soft yet durable material. The material has ‘ribs’ or ‘ridges’ that run across its full length and which give the reading pillow a very unique feel and look. If you love having your furry friends around, then this won’t be your favorite type of cover for reading pillows.
Is the Pillow Washable?
A dirty pillow on clean bed sheets or sofa is not something we love to see. For this reason, you need a pillow that has a removable and washable cover.
You don’t need a cover that instantly loses its texture and feel after being soaked in water. Apart from washing the pillow covers, removable covers can be replaced by new ones.
Some husband designs come with added features, which are convenient at times. Some of these notable additions include:
- Pockets—Traditional reading pillows have pockets (small and/or large) on their side and back. You can use them to store phones, books, etc.
- Handle—To make it easier to carry them around, some reading pillow manufacturers stitch a handle on top of the backrest.
- Refillable Inner Shell—Husband pillows that use shredded memory foam often come with a zippered inner shell and an extra bag of shredded memory foam. You can either remove or add the foam to adjust its shape and firmness.
- Cup Holders—Some designs have cup holders so that you can have your favorite caffeine beverage on the side while you read. Of course, we are not saying that you can’t have a throat scorching drink in there, whatever keeps the brain excited.
What is the best way to read in bed?
Imagine you’ve had a long hectic day and you would like to unwind. You decide to soak yourself, then savor the sweetness of your one and only true love, books.
Suddenly, you remember that after lengthy reading sessions, you usually have back and neck pains. You’ve tried stacking up a couple of sleeping pillows, propping yourself against the headboard, reading on your tummy or your side. Nothing works.
It’s not that all the ways and positions you’ve tried are wrong, probably your spine just needs a little support to maintain a good posture.
You can read flat on your back, with your head and legs raised by Orthopedic wedge pillows, or read on your side with one leg and arm resting on cotton cushions and cushy blocks.
Bottom line; you need sufficient lumber support offered by reading pillows.
But, Why Do I Need a ‘Special Reading Pillow’?
If you have a medical condition that forces you to sit up in bed, you probably have had a medical expert suggest an Orthopedic bed reading pillow.
The main reason for having a reading pillow, whether or not you have a medical condition, is to help you maintain good posture and soothe other joints while reading.
Whether watching TV or reading in bed, a good posture is important. Reading pillows have features designed to help you maintain a good posture and assuage the problems which arise as a result of sitting up in bed for prolonged periods of time.
The material often used in reading pillows—i.e., solid memory foam or shredded memory foam—makes them sturdy, lofty, yet pliable.
Unlike ordinary pillows, which lose shape and offer insufficient support, reading pillows stay firm and help you evenly distribute gravity all over your body. They perfectly support your spine and joints, effectively preventing strain on your back, shoulders, neck, and arm and leg joints.
Reading pillows are constructed with the main aim of supporting your trunk for prolonged periods of time, and most are refillable and washable meaning you can use them for years.
Go get yourself a ‘Husband’
Forget the dry joke in the pun, you really need a Husband Reading Pillow. Not only does this pillow trump standard pillows, but the material and the extra features also propel it in front of the ‘best reading pillows racing pack’.
So, once again, if you want to read comfortably, without worrying about a misaligned spine and an aching body, you need to get yourself a husband!